This months recipe is simple but delicious! If any of you make it be sure to send me the results and let me know what you think!
1 small 155g tin of pilchards in tomato sauce (drained)
2 medium sized potatoes (made into mash but without butter or milk)
1 small red onion (finely chopped)
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 red chilli (finely chopped) – optional
I stalk coriander (finely chopped) – optional
1 stalk spring onion (Finely chopped)
1 teaspoon fish curry powder (medium or hot) – or any curry powder you have in the cupboard
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1. Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Leave in the fridge for half an hour or even overnight if you want to make it in advance.
2. Pre-heat grill to 200 degrees C.
3. Foil a baking tray and generously grease with vegetable oil.
4. Remove the fish mix from the fridge. Shape the mix into little patties and place on the oiled baking tray.
5. Brush more oil on top of the fishcakes and place in the oven.
6. Once the top is brown, turn over and grill the other side.
7. Serve with cucumber slices, rocket salad and a dip of your choice.
8. A simple salad of cucumber, red onion and pineapple also works well. The sweetness of the pineapple compliments the saltiness of the fish.
Try using other types of fish or even add some smoked fish.
Make a simple dip with natural yoghurt, mint sauce and a dash of salt.
Sweet Thai chilli sauce makes a good dip too. My personal favourite is ‘Lingham chili sauce’ available at Tescos and most supermarkets.
If you want to see more pictures of our food and keep updated on all things Dapur Mariae, be sure to like our Facebook page and give us a follow on Instagram!